When we meet someone new, we often wonder how to start a conversation over text because it is painless. Texting is an easy way to break the ice or keep connections strong when in a relationship. Follow these 7 Rules for success.
First we have to find ways to connect with them in the first place. You can simply ask for their number or send a message over social media.
All the text phrases and rules work for both men and women. Just tweak to make it more personal if you would like.
Social media makes it easier because everyone is on at least one platform and it just seems less invasive to connect that way first.
Sometimes we don’t know the best way to start a conversation and what to talk about. Below we have everything that you need to know about starting a conversation over text.
We have rules that make starting a conversation easier and texts specifically for different purposes and personalities.
Our rules below give you lots of ways to start a conversation, although many are simple, they will get you a response. So use them to fit your specific situation.
How to start a conversation over text
1. Send an honest compliment
If this is the first time communicating with this girl or guy, then a good way to break the ice would be to say,
- “I enjoyed meeting you yesterday, Would you like to grab a drink/coffee sometime?” let me know…
- Or, You looked great in that color you wore. I bet you get lots of compliments!
- Or, Talking to you was so interesting, I would love to chat some more with you sometime 😊
- You have the best smile…FYI
2. Make a reference to something that they mentioned
People love to talk about themselves, so let them. Be curious! Ask them to elaborate on something that they mentioned that they liked. They will love that you paid attention and remembered..
- If its food, you can talk about some great restaurants that you have visited or would like to visit. Try… “I have been trying to find a sushi place that was really great, have you ever been to ____?
- Maybe it’s a show that they love on Netflix.You could say “I was thinking of watching that show you mentioned, Is it really that funny?”
- Or a music artist that they listen to ..”Could you send me that artists name? I was going to add it to my playlist.”
Bring up things that you both have in common if you know of anything. As we said before, ask open ended questions about what they like and enjoy. Let the conversation flow naturally.
3. Let them know that you are thinking about them
Bring up something that made you think about them. So often as we go about our day and something reminds us of our guy or girl.
- Let them know if you ate something that they would love or hate. It’s fun to share something that will make them smile.
4. The cliffhanger text
Just like a cliffhanger at the end of any show, keep them wanting more. Give them just enough information to pique their curiosity.
- The craziest thing happened to me, I have to tell you about it
- I was driving and this song came on and made me think of that time last week…
- Seriously you are going to laugh so hard! I have to tell you
5. Send a GIF, meme or emoji
Show your personality by sending something that you find interesting, funny or matches your mood. It doesn’t matter what you send as much as the reason why you are sending it.
This is an easy way to share the things that you think are fun or silly and it shows them that you are thinking of them.
6. The teasing text
Let your playful side show
- I bet my team is gonna kick your team’s ass tonight!
- If I worked where you work, we would get is so much trouble!
- You should see what I bought today, I think that you would like it!
- Its so ugly outside, hope your at home all warm and cozy 🥶
- I hope your day is going good, mine was the worst, I need a hug!
Teasing and flirty texts are a cute way to make them smile and know that they’ve been on your mind.
7. The light and casual text
If you would like a casual way to ask someone out, you could use something like the phrases below. Use for your inspiration.
- I was just heading out and was thinking of grabbing a drink, if your out and about, stop over. I’ll be at the pub around 7.
- I really wanted to go to see a movie tonight and everyone is busy, if your in the mood do you want to meet me there?
If you want to send a casual text try something like this…
- Just thinking of you and hoping your day is going well 😊👍
- Or you could send a quote…something uplifting
“If you want to be happy, be.”
How do you start a conversation with a girl or guy over text?
You can start a conversation with a girl or guy by asking an open ended question. If you ask a question that can be answered with a simple yes or no, your conversation will hit a brick wall pretty fast.
Never text long, complicated messages because its too easy to be misunderstood. You should also never text just a “hi,” because where do you do from there? Just saying “hi” is as lazy as you can get, so be more creative and use the phrases above for inspiration!
Keep a conversation moving by asking questions. Remember that sarcasm in texts can be difficult to understand exactly how you mean it, especially when you don’t know the other person very well yet.
Be careful texting things that you are unsure how they will be taken, this includes anything sexual and possibly jokes. Texting is a supplement to “in person” communication and of course, talking over the phone.
Remember to keep it light and natural. If you are unsure if you should say something, just skip for now. Soon enough, they will know your sense of humor, then it will come across exactly the way that you mean it.
Try not to worry too much about saying the exact right thing. Just follow these easy rules & you will have successful conversations.
How do you start a good conversation?
Texting is a great way to start a conversation or to stay connected, but for anything other than a few sentences, you need to call and talk on the phone or in person.
There is tone and voice inflection that really adds to the conversation and makes it so much clearer.
That is why texting is great for casual quick conversations, but not for anything that is more important.
Asking someone out should be over the phone, not by text, oh and by the way…the same goes for breaking up. Don’t be a terrible person and do that over text or worse yet by ghosting!
Discussing any problems really needs to be done on the phone or in person.
Signs to move on and stop texting
How do you know when it’s time to move on and stop texting? What are the signs?
1 If they give only one word answers. If they won’t elaborate and it feels like you are pulling teeth to get an answer, that is a sign.
- If it regularly takes hours or days to get a reply. People get busy, this is life, but if i t regularly takes a long time to get answers, then that is a sign.
- If they tell you they are busy…often. Take the hint, they are not making time for you because they don’t want to.
- They tell you to stop texting. Well there you go, you should listen because this can slip into harassment.
Conclusion how to start a conversation over text
Keep it simple! It’s not complicated, but sometimes we just need a reminder of how to start a conversation over text and make it as successful as possible.
People love attention, so ask questions about them and then listen. Remember if your goal is to get a date, then don’t waste time and ask!
Don’t keep wondering if they like you in that way, so ask them to do something just the two of you.
Asking them to hang out, is ambiguous, so be clear! Ask them to get a cup of coffee or a drink. People want to feel special, so if you want to get to know them better, then…
Make them feel special, keep it light and have fun!