Our conversation starters for texting are perfect for making that first impression and creating initial interest.
The last thing that you want to do is make some easy to avoid mistakes when trying to get a conversation started and a connection made.
Your goal is to meet in real life but the reality is that first you need to build interest and that is mostly done by texting.
Each of our conversation starters are for different points in your relationship, so pick the ones that fit yours!
A couple of the questions are relevant to the situation that we are all in right now, having to “stay in.”
Conversation starters for texting
1. What did you do on the last nice weather day?
2. What do you love the most about your work?
3. What do you think about what is going on in the world today?
4. What is your favorite way to work out?
5. What motivates you?
7. What is something people do that drives your crazy?
8. What are some things on your bucket list?
9. What are some of your deal breakers in a relationship?
10. What do you never leave your house without?
11. What was your most memorable vacation?
12. Do you have any phobias?
13. What is your favorite ethnic food?
14. I love Italian/Thai etc. Would you like to go to my favorite place sometime?
15. What TV shows have you binged lately?
16. Send me a funny meme that you shared recently.
17. What do you hate about technology?
18. What sites do you find yourself visiting the most?
19. Do you have any favorite apps?
20. What is the best part of your day?
21. What time period would you like to visit the most, if you could time travel?
22. What scents do you really enjoy? (a certain flower, cut grass, fireplace, perfume)
23. What is something that you are terrible at?
Text conversation starters
24. What are some favorites on your playlist right now?
25. What comedy movie is your favorite?
26. Have you ever meditated?
27. What is your dream job?
28. What comes to mind when you think of a great moment in your life?
29. What do you miss the most about college?
30. Whenever you text it makes me smile!
31. What are you planning this weekend?
32. Who is your favorite band?
33. How do you like to spend your free time?
34. What do you like about springtime?
35. Is your personality similar to anyone in your family?
36. How have you handled having to stay in?
37. Are you able to work at home?
38. How would your friends describe you?
39. Did you ever take a really big risk?
40. What do you want to be known or remembered for?
Tinder first messages
41. What do you like about being in a relationship?
42. What was the worst date that you have ever been on?
43. Where would you like to go for a first date?
44. Tell me the worst person that you met on Tinder.
45. How about the most interesting person that you have met?
46. How do you like to spend your time?
47. Do you listen to any podcasts?
48. What are you obsessed with?
49. What did you study in school?
50. Are you more of a cat or dog person?
51. Do you have any quotes that are special to you?
52. Would you like to grab a cup of coffee or a drink?
53. Do you think differently about things since you have had to “stay indoors?”
54. What type of books do you like to read?
55. Who would you consider a mentor or an inspiration to you?
56. What would be some great road trips that you would like to take?
57. Name someone that you hope karma comes back to bite them?
58. What makes you truly happy?
59. Have you ever protested anything?
60. What are you really passionate about?
61. What was the worst pick up line that you have ever heard?
62. What does being successful mean to you?
63. What is your worst trait?
What are some good conversation starters for texting?
64. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
65. Do you have any strange quirks?
66. What is your idea of being adventurous?
67. What is your favorite fast food?
68. Would you rather go hiking or chill on the beach?
69. Working on anything that is exciting lately?
70. What dessert do you crave?
71. What hobbies do you have?
72. What is your earliest memory?
What are some good conversation starters for texting a girl?
73. It’s such a nice day today, would you like to go for a walk?
74. Just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you…have a great day!
75. Good morning! Hope you day goes well 😊
76. What is your favorite cocktail?
77. Name something that you love to do?
78. Is there something that you loved as a child but don’t anymore?
79. I smile whenever I think of you!
80. Sweet dreams!💤
81. Feel free to text if you would like to talk…😊
How do you start a conversation over text?
- Everyone loves to talk about themselves so let them.
- Start the conversation with our conversation starters and then listen.
- Keep the conversation going by responding to what they say.
- Just be curious.
How do you start a fun conversation?
- Be interesting, never just ask “What’s up,” or the horrible “hi” or “hey.”
Use a conversation starter from the above list to help you make it interesting.
If the conversation lags…wait until they text before you text again.
If you decide to text after a while, (don’t ask why they didn’t text back) you could say something like “I had the best day.”
This is what I call a conversation “hook,” this allows for their curiosity to be piqued and hopefully they will answer.
- Follow up. If they talk about a movie or TV show that they really like, you could ask if they would like some company the next time that they watch the show.
Make sure that you pay attention and follow up on things that they may have mentioned. This is a simple way to show them that you are interested in what they have to say.
- Don’t push. Conversations have a push and pull. You need to ask the questions and then listen and pull back. Try not to text them again until they text you back.
- Read your texts out loud. Before you send a text make sure that you re read it first. You want to make sure that it sounds the way that you want it to before sending.
Remember to text the way that you would talk. You want the texts that you send to be something that you would actually say in real life.
- Don’t always initiate. Let them take the initiative also. If you are the one that is always starting the conversation, this may tell you that they are not really interested.
If that’s the case then you should move on to someone that is showing interest also.
These articles go into much more detail about great text conversations.
Conclusion conversation starters for texting
This is one of our favorite topics! We have lots of articles about having fun & interesting conversations. This includes texts to send and questions to ask.
We are a great resource of starting and keeping relationships strong.
Fun Questions to ask
Great conversations don’t just happen, you need to help them along. Adding questions to your date night or using them to get to know someone, we have lots to help you choose from.